Thursday, September 15, 2011

Felt Flower Fridge

Do you have crazy old refrigerator magnets that you are ready to throw away?
Stop!!
There is something you can do, an upscaling of sorts. I had some college dorm type magnets that were not quite fitting my new life, here's what they looked like:


The only ingredients I needed to upscale my magnets was felt, beads, and a hot glue gun.

Each magnet requires five small round pieces of felt. I added jaged edges, but it can most certainly be done both ways.


I like to call these flowers we're making box fold flowers, because of how they are folded together. They don't necessarily need to be made out of felt, but that's what I chose for this project.

Step 1: glue the first piece to the center of the magnet.

Step 2: fold the second piece and glue it to the first.


Step 3: Fold and glue down the third piece perpendicular to the second.


Step 4: Fold and glue down the fourth piece perpendicular to the third.


Step 5: Now the fifth step is probably the trickiest, but I have faith that all of you reading this can do it. Fold and glue down the fifth piece perpendicular to the fourth piece. This step is why I call this flower the box fold, because you must tuck half of the fifth piece under the second piece, just as if you are folding an old box together.


I added a white bead to the center, but you could also do buttons or whatever else you have in mind.

Repeat these steps as many times as needed to cover however many old magnets you have and have fun!

2 comments:

  1. You could use these flowers for a lot of things. Very cute.
    PS do I recognize that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! These flowers are great for a lot of things... some that you will see in the future on this site.
    The picture was drawn for me by one of the cutest boys in the world. Gabe is an artist in the making!

    ReplyDelete